UltraEndurance

"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense. The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of their being -- a call that asks who they are ..." (David Blaikie).

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hey Nike...Good Riddance...


I convinced David to get me the Vibram Five Fingers foot gloves. I have always preferred being barefoot for most of my life, other than for running that is...and these allow me to stay (almost) barefoot everywhere I go. Before I started running when I was 9 years old, my heels would go through growth spurts and would hurt all the time, so I walked around on my toes for a long time (for a few years according to my dad). I never learned how to run the way most people ran (heel to toe) and I am now happy that I adapted to landing on the ball of my foot when I run. A few friends of mine say that I run like a boxer...my friend Marta told me she had never seen anyone run so lightly on their feet as I ran on the treadmill. Being 30 years old now, and never having foot problems since I was very young, I can honestly say that wearing these foot gloves are the best thing for my feet. I have super high arches and orthotics never made sense. Why put something in your shoe that pushes up against it? The foot has so many bones to help stabilize the body in motion NATURALLY. Why put the feet in "coffins" (as Thomas Jane - star of The Punisher - has stated. It is a whole new experience being able to teach a group fitness class or go for a run feeling so free....

After reading Chris McDougall's Born to Run I felt so scammed by all the Nikes and Addidas and all the other over-engineered shoe companies. Did you know that Bill Bowerman was a horrible runner? He was a big business man, that's all. Did you know that Nike pulls certain styles off the shelf so that consumers stock-pile that style in case they don't come back out again (which they always do!). My money will happily go toward more important things now...save your "old" shoes....you will run better in them! It is so true! I am embarrassed that I fed into the mainstream thought of having to get my shoes replaced because the soles were worn down. The fact is that by wearing down my soles, my feet were trying to mold themselves closer to the ground so they can do their job! I remember training for the Keys 100 race in 2009 and trading in my shoes every month. I always thought, "they feel fine, but they probably aren't because the soles are worn, so I should replace them..." and then once I got my feet into the new shoes I had to "break them in" again. There is no "breaking in" when it is just your feet. Think about all the $$$ we waste on "running shoes". As McDougall explains in his book, the more money you pay for your shoes, the more over-engineered the shoe which equals the less your foot does the work. I say, SCREW SUPPORT.

Did you know that there has been a significant increase in injuries since the big running boom in the 1970s? Take a stab at why that is....

I highly recommend reading Born to Run. I have been running for 21 years...and I have finally found the perfect footwear which has given me the perfect form.

God bless you, Runners!

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute! /email me the dates for mountanside fitness fundraiser in november 2010. meanmomdigitalproductions@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete