UltraEndurance

"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense. The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of their being -- a call that asks who they are ..." (David Blaikie).

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Vest...


I got David a Gold's Gym Weight Vest for Father's Day. Maya and the boys and I gave it to him early. He has used it twice and loves it.

Since he is out of town, I decided to give it a try. It was taunting me...so I took it to the gym yesterday. It is a 20 lb vest and is a beast to lug around (just to get it to the gym)! I dropped the boys off in childcare and locked up my stuff in the locker room. It was really awkward carrying it to the treadmill (not like an embarrassed sort of awkward, but an actual physical awkwardness). After I put it on, it felt lighter. I started up the dreadmill on a slow jog setting so I could work out the adjustment kinks in the vest.

The guy next to me (a "regular" always on "his" treadmill) kept looking over to see if I would fly off the back and fall on my butt. This poor man has seen it all from me. I have thrown my sweaty towel in his direction before (on accident of course), and have almost tripped and gone flying. One time I was in my "tunnel" and was unknowingly whistling for about 2.5 miles during a longer run. Of course I "knew" I was whistling, but I didn't realize how loud it was. When I stepped off the dreadmill and he said he was playing "Name That Tune" and trying to figure out what I was whistling. Yikes! It makes me wonder how many times I have farted (loudly, nonetheless) while running on the treadmill without realizing where I was. Outside, I can let 'em rip whenever! Well, let me take that back...I was running last year outside and jamming to a Disturbed song and let some gas pass and then realized that the high school boys' cross country team was right on my tail! What an OMG moment. Needless to say, I used my gas as jet pack fuel and sailed it outta there as fast as I could and finally lost them at an intersection.

Back to the vest...
I was running at a comfortable 7.2 pace setting but was bothered by the bouncing of the vest. All that weight on small shoulders was not working. I pulled the straps tighter and held them down, pulling the vest down against me so it wouldn't bounce. I made it a little over 5 miles when my shoulders had had enough. I have to figure out how to make it all stay intact on my body. Duct tape, perhaps?

David definitely looked better (and a lot less awkward) using it. He said he felt like a S.W.A.T. guy. He looked like one too! I told him he should just wear it everywhere and be known as the S.W.A.T. - Crocs dude (for those of you who don't know him, he wears Crocs to the gym when he lifts). It was nice to see him with a watered down version of a Runner's High. He was chatty and happy and laughing after his run/walk on the dreadmill with the vest. The next day, he said he was going to go for HOURS. It is funny how a torrential flow of endorphins can change a person. He ended up going for an hour...which is great for him. I love my guy!

Today my shoulders are sore and I have some broken blood vessels on them. I am going to use the vest on the stairmill (a.k.a. the S'mill) next. Anything to push my muscles to the max and get them ready for sleep deprivation training!

UPDATE: My 24 hour tread on the mill is set for November 12-13, 2010. It is te two year anniversary of Mountainside Fitness and all the commotion should keep me distracted ( I hope).


1 comment:

  1. OMG the vest is cool. Really? The towel was accidental??? uh...lol I know the feeling. Been having a body builder trainer starring me down at the cc one..ugh..

    ReplyDelete