UltraEndurance

"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense. The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of their being -- a call that asks who they are ..." (David Blaikie).

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Dreadmill 24.


"The Road Goes On Forever and the Party Never Ends" (Pat Green). Sounds like fun - sounds like ultrarunning!

After moving to this barren, hotter than hell, full of deadly animals and plants (yes, there are "shooting cacti"), I thought my journey as an ultrarunner had ended at the finish line of the Keys 100 miler last year. That was until I came up with a brilliant plan to continue my quest to challenge my body and mind and use the gift of endurance God gave me for a good cause! I am going to run on the treadmill in the air conditioning for 24 hours and log as many miles as I can! Yippeee!! Life is good again.

But, again, it IS the dreadmill, er, the treadmill. When I tell you that I strongly dislike running on a treadmill, I mean it. I don't "hate" many things, but it is one step up from pure hatred. This will be the toughest mental running I have ever endured. I hate the treadmill, did I mention that?

So, I will keep you posted on the when-and-where on this blog and on Facebook. Until then, I will be accepting brainteasers, riddles, and audiobooks to keep my mind off the task at hand during the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment